Low Fat Lettuce Bison Wraps Recipe
An alternative to the standard flour tortillas that hold together a variety of fillings, lettuce adds a delicious crunch to this meal. The perfect recipe for those with gluten intolerance or celiac disease, the wraps also contain bison instead of ground beef, which is higher in minerals and nutrients, while being lower in fat and equally flavorful.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbl grapeseed oil
- 1 lb ground bison 1
- large can diced roma tomatoes
- ½ small can tomato paste
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp sugar salt, to taste
- 1 head butter or iceberg lettuce
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Toss the onion, garlic and grapeseed oil in a large pot on the stove. Turn it to medium-high heat and caramelize the onion and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes, or until brown and translucent. Add the bison and cook for another 5 minutes, or until it is lightly browned.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot, stirring vigorously to scrape up any flavorful brown bits that have stuck to the bottom of the pot. Turn the heat to medium and simmer for another 20 to 25 minutes, or until the mixture is flavorful and thick.
- Cut the bottom off the lettuce. Wash whole leaves and pat them dry. Serve the bison and tomato mixture in the middle of one or two leaves. Top with several slices of avocado and sprinkles of cilantro. Serve immediately.