This satisfying stew from Lois Glezer of Standish, Maine is chock-full of potatoes, turnips, carrots and bison. Served with Irish soda bread, it makes a hearty St. Patrick's Day meal.
Prep: 20 min.
Cook: 1-3/4 hours
Yield: 6 Servings
- 1-1/2 pounds bison stew meat
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup cubed turnip
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried marjoram, thyme and rosemary, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven, brown buffalo in oil over medium-high heat. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the potatoes, onion, carrot, turnip and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, milk and browning sauce if desired until smooth; stir into stew. Add parsley. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.